Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Modern Day Miracles

A week ago I noticed that my tailbone was really sore. I was really confused by it because I knew I had done nothing to cause the pain. I decided to go to bed and hope that the pain would go away. However, through out the night it became progressively worse to the point where I was in tears by the frustration and lack of sleep this was causing.

The next morning my tailbone was so sore, I could hardly walk let alone stand in one place, and sitting was impossible, the only thing I could do was lay on my side and that was harldly bearable. Finally it occured to me that I might have a cyst. We decided to go to the hospital and get it checked out. Sure enough, it was a cyst. I was so thankful that there was a solution to this sudden problem. However, when the doctor tried to drain it, he found that it had not developed enough to be able to have anything come out. He decided that other than antibiotics, the only other solution would be to have it surgically removed. Great, however one huge problem....WE'RE BROKE!!! how on earth were we going to cover this cost. Sure we could apply for welfare, but the likelyhood of having the coverage in time was going to be impossible.

So the doctor advised that I take the rest of the week off and let the antibiotics do it's job. Let me tell you, laying around in your apartment for four days is not my idea of fun. However I did feel that I was feeling better very quickly and I felt hope come over me. "Maybe I won't need the surgery after all."

I got a call from the secretaries at the hospital to make the appointment for the surgery. The woman advised me that this would only be a consultation and that it was going to cost $300. $300!!! so on top of the possible surgery, I need to have $300 up front for the consultation!!! where am I going to get this money. I decided we would use our tip money (which we had been saving for our rent money) to cover this cost. Today was the appointment and I was very anxious to hear what he had to say. Our doctor was really great, we talked about what had happened and what the causes were. He then examined the area, and from his diagnosis, decided that the surgery would not be neccessary. WOO HHOOO!!! NO SURGERY!!!
So we're getting ready to leave and the doctor asks, " Are you L.D.S?" "Yeah, how did you know?" "From your garments, I'm L.D.S as well." What a coincidence, our doctor is Mormon. We chatted for a little longer, and say goodbye. As we walked over to the front desk, the woman asks, "Well are we doing the surgery?" "Nope, we just need to pay." she then says, "Nope, it's on the house." WHAT!!!! I couldn't believe it. We were so worried all week about how we were going to pay for the consultation, pay for the surgery, and we were able to walk away paying for nothing.

I do believe in modern miracles, I believe in the power of tithing, and I believe in the power of priesthood blessings. The night before the appointment, I asked Jershon to give me a blessing. I know that his prayer was heard, and that the lord was aware of our situation. I know that if you allow yourself, the lord will pour blessings upon you. I am so thankful for this experience and I am so happy I can share this with all of you. I love you all and thank you for your prayers.

0 comments: